SANUSq: Gurmar Leaf (Gymnema Sylvestre) capsules - 500 mg x 100
For Healthy Blood Sugar Levels and Healthy Pancreas
Current batch best before date: March 2024
Country of origin: Thailand
(Check our current promotions before buying)
Contains: (per capsule) 500 mg Gurmar Leaf
Suggested dosage: We suggest 2 capsules per day
Storage: Refrigerate after opening, and use within 60 days
Gymnema Sylvestre is a large woody vine native to the tropical regions of India, Australia and Africa. It is a reputed ayurvedic herb particularly valued for its role in the management of diabetes and in regulating blood sugar levels. In Hindi, it is also called Gurmar, a word that literally means " sugar destroyer".
Gurmar leaves are loaded with various bioactive compounds, such as gurmarin, gymnemic acid and gymnemasaponins, with amazing anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties. The herb has been traditionally used for thousands of years to treat diabetes, jaundice, stomach ailments, constipation, malaria, asthma and urinary problems.
Health Benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Promotes insulin production
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Nourishes and regenerates pancreas
- Supresses sugar cravings
- Helps in weight loss
- Regulates cholesterol and triglycerides levels
- Reduces the risk of metabolic syndrome
Gurmar benefits in diabetes
Gurmar = Gur + Mar (Sugar + Destroyer)
Chronically elevated blood sugar levels can lead to type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, obesity and heart disease. Type 2 diabetes is caused by the body’s inability to either produce enough insulin or to use insulin effectively.
Gurmar leaf can help manage diabetes in a number of ways, such as regulating sugar levels in the blood, reducing sugar cravings and regenerating the pancreas – the organ that makes insulin. It is also useful in managing weight, cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels. This makes Gymnema sylvestre an highly effective herb in reducing the risk of metabolic syndrome.
1. Reduces sugar cravings:Gymnemic acid, one of the active ingredients in Gurmar, temporarily blocks sugar receptors on the taste buds and reduces the ability to perceive sweet taste for a few hours. This suppression effect occurs immediately after consuming Gurmar and helps in reducing the desire to eat sugar-rich foods and in managing stubborn sugar cravings. 
The gymnemic acid in Gurmar reduces the absorption of sugar in the intestine, thus regulating fasting and postprandial (after a meal) blood sugar levels. This makes Gurmar an extremely beneficial herb for people with prediabetes. Studies show that Gurmar reduces sugar levels in the bloodstream , stimulates the production of insulin from the beta cells of the pancreas and improves insulin sensitivity. It is also believed highly effective in the prevention of metabolic syndrome – a group of conditions that puts one at a very high risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke. 
2. Regulates blood sugar levels:
3. Regenerates and nourishes pancreas:
The bioactive compounds in the gymnema leaves nourish and repair beta cells of the pancreas that are responsible for secreting insulin in the body.
4. Helps in weight management:
Gurmar leaf promotes weight loss and the active ingredients present in Gurmar leaves are known to block the absorption of fats in the intestine, which reduces weight gain. It curbs sugar cravings and reduces the intake of sugary foods. Gymnema sylvestre also nourishes the central nervous system, which helps to regulate cortisol levels, reduces stress and promotes healthy sleep. All of these effects are desirable in maintaining healthy weight and reducing the risk of obesity. The herbs diuretic properties also help remove toxins from the body.
5. Works as an anti-oxidant and lowers inflammation:
A wide range of bioactive compounds found in Gurmar have anti-oxidant properties. This is how Gurmar helps reduce the effects of oxidative damage in the cells and tissues, that occurs as a result of both internal and external factors. High levels of sugar circulating in the bloodstream cause further damage and inflammation in the body, which increases the risk of vascular complications and multi-organ damage in type 2 diabetes. The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Gurmar help protect beta cells of the pancreas from oxidative damage and also lowers the risk of diabetes, complications associated with diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome.
Other uses of Gurmar (Gymnema Sylvestre)
- Works as a liver tonic, helps in jaundice
- Good for urinary tract health
- Regulates lipid levels
- Improves digestion
- Useful in anemia
- Improves appetite
- Improves eye health and supports vision
- Turner at al. Consuming Gymnema sylvestre Reduces the Desire for High-Sugar Sweet Foods. Nutrients 2020.
- Devangan et al. The effect of Gymnema sylvestre supplementation on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Phytotherapy Research. 2021.
- Esperanza Martínez-Abundis. Effect of Gymnema Sylvestre on Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin.