SANUS-q: Jiaogulan loose leaf tea - each packet contains 100g
100% organic, naturally grown Jiaogulan
Free from heavy metals and pesticides
- Maintains balance in the body
- Provides noticeable energy boost
- Improves mental clarity
- Fights stress and calms nerves
- Regulates blood pressure, sugar levels and cholesterol
- Improves overall immunity
- Regulates metabolism
- Cleanses and detoxifies the body
High Quality Jiaogulan Tea Leaves from SANUS-q
We work directly with local hill-tribe farmers of Northern Thailand to bring you the highest quality, naturally grown and organic Jiaogulan. The farmers use natural fertilizers and the herb is grown in nutrient rich and pure soil – to offer you sweet-tasting Jiaogulan in all its natural glory and with all its health benefits intact.
- 100% mountain harvested, organic Jiaogulan
- Tea made from hand-picked, finest Jiaogulan leaves grown in distant mountains
- Free from heavy metals, pesticides or other chemicals
- Sun dried to preserve its natural vitamins and minerals
Jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum)
The Herb of Immortality
Jiaogulan, pronounced ‘gee-ow-goo-lan’ is a herb native to Southern China, Thailand, Japan and other parts of southeast Asia. The natives from southern China had been extensively using Jiaogulan for hundreds of years as a rejuvenating tonic to both boost their energy levels as well as to relax, relieve exhaustion and sleep better at night. They also used the herb to cure common cold, fever and other infections.
Modern scientists started to explore Jiaogulan’s anti-aging and other health benefits after the result of the first Chinese nationwide census came out in 1970s. The census revealed that a significant percentage of people from the Guizhou, Guangxi and Sichuan provinces lived over 100 years. Besides unusual long lives, these people were also found to have low rates of age-related disorders such as cancer, diabetes and declining cognitive functions.
The results were mind-boggling, and spurred exhaustive research. The scientists discovered that these locals regularly drank a tea made from steeped Jiaogulan leaves. The natives called this wild vine “Xiancao”, or “The Immortality Herb”.
Since then Jiaogulan has been the subject of many extensive studies as well as human clinical trials. And most of these studies support the herb’s astonishing medicinal properties – such as to help the body self-heal, prevent disease, fight stress, normalize body functions, and increase life span.
What makes Jiaogulan so healthy?
Jiaogulan contains saponins
Jiaogulan contains high amounts of plant chemicals called saponins – the primary reason behind the herb’s extraordinary anti-oxidant, self-healing, self-regulating, immune boosting and disease preventing effects.
The saponins in Jiaogulan are called gypenosides, chemical compounds that bear strong resemblance to the ones found in ginseng. That’s why Jiaogulan is also known as Southern ginseng, or five-leaf ginseng. But Jiaogulan is considered a much more powerful anti-oxidant herb as it contains more than 174 saponins versus 28 saponins (called ginsenosides) found in Panax Ginseng.
Jiaogulan is an adaptogenic herb
Adaptogens are amazing plants that helps to maintain overall homeostasis (balance) and empowers the body to deal with everyday stress. Also called biological response modifiers, these herbs are rare in nature; and only 1 out of 4,000 plants are classified as a real adaptogen.
Qualities of adaptogenic herbs:
- Non-toxic and non-harming
- Stimulates the body to maintain complete balance and adjust to internal or external stress
- Exerts non-specific action within the body – by supporting all body systems.
First among equals? According to the research so far, Jiaogulan may possibly be the most powerful and effective adaptogen found in nature.
Works multi-directionally: Unlike most other herbs that work to bring one specific result, Jiaogulan is multi-directional in nature. For example, it will reduce blood pressure, sugar levels and cholesterol if these readings are higher than normal. But the herb doesn’t always specifically work to lower these levels. It normalizes functions and works according to the body’s requirements. So, if these same parameters are found to be too low, Jiaogulan lifts them up.
How Jiaogulan works as an adaptogen?
- Improves heart functions. This helps organs and tissues to get an improved supply of oxygen and nutrient rich blood, thus improving their overall functionality and capacity to self-heal and self-repair under stress. This property also gives energy and stamina levels in the body a huge boost.
- Influences neuroendocrine system. This system plays a central role in hormones production and regulation of the central nervous system. A healthy, well-functioning neuroendocrine system is critical for a range of healthy processes such as reproduction, immunity, metabolism, energy consumption, heart rate, growth and development, protein synthesis, fighting stress and so much more. By exerting a positive influence on the neuroendocrine system, Jiaogulan regulates how the body maintains this perfect balance and responds to a wide range of stressors as an integrated system.
Jiaogulan is a strong anti-oxidant
Our body maintains a healthy balance of anti-oxidants to destroy free radicals. These free radicals are generated in the body by both internal (energy generation in the mitochondria, immune response) and external (stress, environmental toxins, processed foods, over medication, surgery etc.) factors.
Free radicals deplete the body’s antioxidant stores and react with cellular macromolecules such as proteins, DNA, membrane lipids – causing cells, tissues and organs to dysfunction and deteriorate. All this leads to body-wide inflammation – the main driver of premature aging and chronic diseases such as arthritis, cataracts, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s.
Why Jiaogulan is a superior anti-oxidant! Jiaogulan helps the body to make its own supply of anti-oxidants (endogenous anti-oxidants); namely Superoxide Dismutase, Glutathione, and Catalase. Our body heavily depends on this internal army of antioxidants to limit the cascade of free radical damage.
Endogenous antioxidants are much more effective in destroying free radicals than those obtained from dietary sources (exogenous antioxidants). However, the ability of our body to produce these powerful substances wanes as we get older. Consuming Jiaogulan tea supports the body’s ability to keep its natural anti-oxidant system up to date – extremely important to prevent inflammation and chronic disease, and achieve a longer and healthier life span.
In addition, glutathione is an extremely important part of the body’s detoxification machinery. This master anti-oxidant binds to heavy metals, pesticides and other toxins, and facilitate their excretion from the body. By aiding the body to produce more glutathione, Jiaogulan helps to cleanse and detoxify the body of harmful elements, accumulation of which can burden the body with heavy toxic loads and weaken immune functions – causing serious health problems and disease.
Jiaogulan Health Benefits
- Empowers and strengthens the workings of adrenal glands (prevents adrenal exhaustion and improves the body’s ability to adapt to stress)
- Calms nerves, reduces stress-induced anxiety and headaches
- Promotes better sleep
- Supports heart health (regulates nitric oxide production, reduces cholesterol and triglycerides, prevents plaque formation, prevents oxidative damage and inflammation within arteries, improves functions of endothelium)
- Lifts energy levels, reduces fatigue and exhaustion 
- Boosts athletic performance by building stamina and strength
- Improves insulin sensitivity, lowers elevated sugar levels 
- Maintains healthy weight 
- Improves immunity, enhances production and functions of white blood cells
- Prevents urinary bladder infections 
- Consult your doctor before using Jiaogulan.
- Not recommended for pregnant, breastfeeding women and young children.
- You may experience slight nausea and increased bowel movements on using Jiaogulan over long term.
- Not recommended if you are on blood thinners, blood pressure lowering drugs or any other heart medication such as Azathioprine (Imuran), Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), Prograf, Zenapak, Rapumune.
- Don’t take Jiaogulan if you are on immune-suppressants (for example, after an organ transplant procedure).
This data is only intended for education and information purposes only while not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any aforementioned diseases. It is not in any way intended to diagnose, prescribe or substitute the advice or treatment recommended your physician or other health care professionals.
- The Effects of Polysaccharide from Gynostemma pentaphyllum Supplementation on Exhaustive Exercise-Induced Fatigue", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 730, pp. 241-244, Jan. 2015
- Huyen VT, Phan DV, Thang P, Hoa NK, Ostenson CG. Gynostemma pentaphyllum Tea Improves Insulin Sensitivity in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2013;2013:765383. doi: 10.1155/2013/765383. Epub 2013 Jan 31
- Park SH, Huh TL, Kim SY, Oh MR, Tirupathi Pichiah PB, Chae SW, Cha YS. "Antiobesity effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract (actiponin): A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial." Obesity (Silver Spring, Md). 2013 Jun 26.
- Petra Lüthjea, Ezarul Faradianna Lokmanb, c, Corine Sandströmd, Claes-Göran Östensonb, Annelie Braunera. Gynostemma pentaphyllum exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and modulates antimicrobial peptide expression in the urinary bladder. Science Direct. Journal of Functional Foods. Volume 17August 2015, Pages 283–292